The role of the Conferences, Meetings, and Events business unit is to support the generation of revenue, as well as raise the visibility of and increase stakeholder engagement with the National Minority Supplier Development Council through high-quality conferences, meetings and events. Under the general direction of the director, Conferences, Meetings & Events, the event coordinator is responsible for assisting with planning, coordinating and executing cost-effective arrangements for all NMSDC conferences, meetings, and events.
To be considered for this role, candidates must believe in NMSDC’s mission, by remaining extremely motivated in advancing it further and be highly creative in scaling our organization’s influence and impact. Is this something that interests you? Join our proud team that is passionately committed to supporting minority businesses to grow profitably.
Job Location: Remote
Travel Requirements: Moderate travel for company business and events; 15-25%
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with managing conferences, meetings and events operations and logistics; including site visits, food and beverage requirements, marketing collateral and signage development and production, vendor negotiations, contracting, budgeting, registration, program implementation, onsite management and post-event reporting.
- Assist with making arrangements for on-site events (i.e. room set-up, function times, audio visual, menu selections, on-site/off site events and activities, DMC operations, special events, ground transfers, room deliveries, and VIP needs).
- Coordinate industry group and satellite meeting (ICW) requests.
- Negotiate with suppliers for the best possible rates and quality in the procurement of goods and services.
- Work with the project manager and events management company to develop event timelines and task checklists to ensure timely implementation of all event logistical details.
- Provide on-site program assistance; assist with arranged details of program (i.e. attend pre-con, verify room set-ups, handle VIP needs, etc.).
- Assist, check, and follow up and follow through on all inquiries and requests as required.
- Perform administrative and clerical duties.
- Prepare purchase orders for payments for goods and services procured by the Conferences, Meetings and Events department, to include reimbursements to annual conference speakers, volunteers and award winners.
- Prepare expense reports for director, Conferences, Meetings and Events.
- Works with travel agency to make travel arrangements for staff attending the Annual Conference and Minority Business Economic Forum to ensure that travel arrangements are in accordance with organizational polices and guidelines.
- Prepare and distribute staff assignments and handbook for all events.
- Prepares and/or provides reports upon request. Research and /or retrieve data, as needed, for reports.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence for: conference host committee, vendors, award winners, industry groups, volunteers, etc.
- Assist with registration questions and provide support in Cvent.
- Assist the director, Conferences, Meetings and Events with exhibit booth inquiries.
- Communicate with conference speakers, award winners, volunteers and other program participants regarding their participation and arrangements, as required.
- Set up, maintain and breakdown function space(s) for meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of two years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in similar not-for-profit or business environment, preferably in event management, hospitality or fundraising/development.
- Computer proficiency. Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft (MS) Word, Excel, MS Sharepoint and PowerPoint are essential. Knowledge of Formsite and Cvent are pluses.
- Strong work ethic, work well under pressure, meet deadlines, pay attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to set priorities, and effectively and efficiently manage several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, including oral, written, and proofreading. Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of people, from colleagues to sponsors and VIPs. Must have exemplary customer service skills.
- Use discretion in handling matters, referring those needing immediate attention and consulting other staff members as appropriate.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work in fast-paced office environment.
- Problem-solving skills, sound judgment and ability to negotiate effectively.
- Willingness to be flexible in work schedule, giving extra time when needed.
- Team player.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This position is an outstanding opportunity for a self-motivated individual to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization.
- Benefits: Medical Insurance, 401K Plan, Short-Term Disability, Term Life, Long-Term Disability, Vacation and Sick Pay, Performance Bonus – tied to the financial health of organization and individual performance.
Interested candidates can apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
NMSDC was created in 1972 in responding to calling for racial justice. For the last 50 years, NMSDC has been connecting and advocating for the inclusion of minority business enterprises (MBEs). Because we believe every business deserves an unbiased chance. By helping Asian-Indian, Asian-Pacific, Black, Hispanic, and Native American businesses push forward, we are shaping a better world for all.
Our Network is Unmatched!
- 15,000+ Certified MBEs
- 1,500+ Corporate Members
- 23 Regional Councils
- NMSDC Business Consortium Fund/CDFI
- 5 International Affiliates
- Extensive NGO and Government partnerships
Our Results are Extraordinary!
- $400+ billion in economic output annually
- $48 billion generated in tax revenue
- 2 million jobs